Black-on-white violence is a real problem, as evil as it is ubiquitous. Below is a select list of interracial atrocities committed by black perpetrators on white victims. Many more could be added to it. Yet, as readers should note, the very same “anti-racists” who demanded Paula Deen’s head on a platter have uttered not a peep about these outrages.
• The Wichita Massacre: In December of 2000, two brothers, Reginald and Jonathan Carr, robbed, beat with golf clubs, tormented, and repeatedly raped three men and two women. They eventually shot all five victims, execution-style, in the backs of their heads before driving over their bodies with one of the victim’s pick-up truck. Miraculously, one person survived. Wearing nothing but a shirt, shot and battered, she walked a mile until she found help.
• The “Knoxville Horror”: In 2007, Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom were carjacked in Knoxville, Tennessee, by four men and one woman. Newsom was raped and sodomized with an object. Stripped naked, blindfolded, gagged, and shot several times to death, his body was then discarded by railroad tracks and set on fire.
Christian was orally, vaginally, and anally gang raped to the point that she sustained severe injuries. Bleach was poured down her throat and scrubbed over her body so as to remove her assailants’ DNA — all while she was still alive. Bound and stuffed inside of trash bags, she slowly suffocated to death.
• Antonio Santiago: On March 21 of this year, Sherry West and her 13-month-old baby, Antonio Santiago, were shot while going for a walk in their Brunswick, Georgia, neighborhood. While the mother survived bullets to her ear and leg, her baby died instantly when a bullet entered his face.
• Joshua Heath Chellew: At the end of June, this 36-year-old man was attacked by four teenagers at a gas station outside of Atlanta, Georgia. In trying to escape the beating that he was suffering, Chellew was fatally struck by a passing car.
• Jonathan Foster: On Christmas Eve, 2010, 12-year-old Jonathan Foster was abducted from his home in Houston, Texas, by a 44-year-old woman, Mona Nelson.The latter bound Foster and then murdered him with a blowtorch. She discarded his body in a ditch along the road, where it was found four days later. Foster’s remains were so badly charred that his corpse had to be identified by his dental records.
• Delbert “Shorty” Benton: Just last week, the 89-year-old veteran of World War II was beaten to death by two teenagers armed with flashlights. Benton was making his way through a parking lot of a place that he regularly frequented when attacked.
• Chris Lane: The 23-year-old Australian was in the States visiting his girlfriend. While on a run, some reportedly “bored” teenagers shot him in the back. Lane died shortly afterward. The thugs had a history of expressing hostility toward whites, and at least one of them was said by police to have laughed and danced upon being arrested.
• Fannie Gumbinger: This 99-year-old woman joined Benton and Lane last week when a 20-year-old burglar murdered her in her home. Police say she died of “multiple injuries.”
Relatively few people, including conservative media personalities (to say nothing of Republican politicians), dare to confront this problem for what it is. Instead, far too frequently, they are as disposed to search out “root causes” of black dysfunction as are their leftist counterparts.
One conservative who isn’t buying this is former South Africa resident, turned American, Ilana Mercer.
Along with her father, a rabbi, Mercer opposed apartheid in South Africa. Yet as she notes in her book Into the Cannibal’s Pot: Lessons for America from Post-Apartheid South Africa and as she has labored tirelessly to establish for years in her WorldNetDaily column and elsewhere, the abolition of the injustice of apartheid has led to even greater evils.
And this is one key lesson for Mercer’s new homeland from her old: When race-obsessed visionaries, politicians, and activists issue utopian promises of a “post-racial” era (sound familiar?), it promises to result in worse racial injustices. Crime in all categories has skyrocketed in the new South Africa, and racially motivated attacks against whites have increased precipitously.
Mercer’s work on this score is must-reading for Americans who are concerned with preventing their country from being consumed by the racial evils that have engulfed South Africa. It is also priceless for the author’s decimation of the “root causes” excuses offered by both Left and Right.
While conceding that culture “counts,” Mercer also reminds us that the argument from “culture” is “circular,” not “causal.” It amounts to nothing more enlightening than “people do the things they do because they are who they are and have a history of being that way.”
The theorists can debate “root causes” all day long. The rest of us need to combat evil.
And the first step toward combating evil is to recognize it for what it is.