Climate scientists and noted researchers from a variety of disciplines and all parts of the world will be converging on Las Vegas, Nevada, July 7-9 to receive awards and present their latest findings at the Heartland Institute’s 9th International Conference on Climate Change.
Among the renowned experts who will be speaking are:
• Dr. Roy Spencer, principal research scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville and Team Leader on NASA’s Aqua satellite;
• Dr. Nils-Axel Morner of Sweden, one of the world’s leading experts on sea level changes;
• Lord Christopher Monckton, chief policy advisor to the Science and Public Policy Institute;
• Dr. Patrick Moore, a founding member of Greenpeace, former president of Greenpeace Canada, and former director of Greenpeace International;
• John Coleman, veteran meteorologist and founder of The Weather Channel;
• Dr. Sonja Boehmer-Christiansen of the University of Hull, England, and a former expert reviewer for the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC);
• and many more.
Don’t expect President Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Al Gore, or the climate apocalypse choir in the mainstream media to pay any attention to the assembled experts, since they won’t be dispensing the usual end-of-the-world predictions and the attendant we-must-empower-government-to-save-us prescriptions.
President Obama and the global CO2 disaster lobby have doubled down on their campaign to force massive — and very costly — regulations on all Americans, for the supposed benefit of saving the world from global warming, even as the "science" undergirding their discredited theories has been collapsing all around them. Even the most die-hard global warming activists and institutions now acknowledge that there has been no measurable warming for the past 17 years!
As we have reported previously, Dr. Phil Jones, former director of the Climate Research Unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia and one of the world’s most well-known climate alarmists, acknowledged in 2010 that there has been no “statistically significant” warming for 15 years. Dr. Jones was one of the key activists exposed in the CRU’s “Climategate” email scandals.
Likewise, the United Kingdom’s National Weather Service (known as the Met Office), which has also been a leading purveyor of global warming hysteria, has admitted that there is no evidence of warming since 1997. Even NPR (National Public Radio) and the journal Nature Climate Change, both reliable fright peddlers of global warming propaganda.
The more militant and strident tack taken recently by the Obama administration is running headlong into a climate of skepticism toward proposals to refashion the world for increasingly dubious claims of impending doom. Much of the credit for the rising tide of public skepticism toward the outlandish claims of the global warming Jeremiahs goes to the Heartland Institute, which The Economist has called “the world’s most prominent think tank promoting skepticism about man-made climate change.”
The Economist, which has been a leading promoter of climate alarmism, may not have intended the description as a compliment, but the Chicago-based Heartland gladly takes it as such and displays it prominently. In addition to the many books, reports, articles, speeches, debates, and media appearances on climate it has produced, sponsored, and/or promoted, the Heartland Institute has done a tremendous service by sponsoring international conferences that bring together genuine scientists and policy experts who insist on evidence-based science, rather than the politics-based “science” promoted by the United Nations and most of the planet’s governments and government agencies.
The Heartland conferences have done much to demolish the false “scientific consensus” claims (see here, here, here, and here ) that are aimed at stifling all dissent and debate and silencing all critics.
The New American has covered Heartland’s previous climate conferences (See, for example, 2008 Climate Debate: Science Conference Challenges Global Warming Alarmism and Video Interview with Willie Soon, Ph.d. - Heartland Institute Climate Conference 2010).
In addition to its own awards, the Heartland conference will also be presenting awards from the EarthFree Institute, the George C. Marshall Institute, the Science and Environmental Policy Project, the Cornwall Alliance for the Stewardship of Creation, the Heritage Foundation, and the Media Research Center. Among those being honored with awards are:
• Greenpeace co-founder Dr. Patrick Moore (now considered a heretic by greenies);
• Dr. Alan Carlin, the EPA whistleblower who exposed the EPA’s fraudulent science used to declare CO2 a “pollutant”;
• Dr. Willie Soon, the astrophysicist whose discoveries debunked the “hockey stick” computer modelers;
• Dr. Sherwood Idso, one of the world’s leading researchers on carbon dioxide; and
• Dr. S. Fred Singer, atmospheric and space physicist, prolific author, and first director of the National Weather Satellite Service.
Polls show that the decades-long fear-hyping by politicians and the media is no longer having the effect it once was. As we reported recently, a new report by a British Parliament committee likewise noted that people are getting tired of being bombarded with exaggerated fears of global environmental catastrophes that turn out to be false alarms.
The Obama administration and the proponents of “global governance” hope to push through their draconian plans before more Americans awaken to the fact that it is the proposed climate “solutions” we should fear, rather than the non-existent global warming “crisis.” If more Americans take note of and promote the genuine science provided by the experts assembled at the Heartland conference, the political aspirants who trade in fear will have a much more difficult time stampeding us into their global climate concentration camp.