The U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Pubic Works has announced a new 231-page U.S. Senate Minority Report with statements from over 650 dissenting scientists from around the globe challenging man-made global-warming claims made by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and former Vice President Al Gore.
The report notes: “The over 650 dissenting scientists are more than 12 times the number of UN scientists (52) who authored the media-hyped IPCC 2007 Summary for Policymakers.”
The following are a few abbreviated quotes taken from the report, which contains the full quotes of the scientists as well as the names, biographies, and academic/institutional affiliation of international scientists who publicly dissent climate-change fear mongering:
- “I am a skeptic.... Global warming has become a new religion.” — Nobel Prize Winner for Physics, Ivar Giaever.
- “Gore prompted me to start delving into the science again and I quickly found myself solidly in the skeptic camp.... Climate models can at best be useful for explaining climate changes after the fact.” — Meteorologist Hajo Smit of Holland, who reversed his belief in man-made warming to become a skeptic, is a former member of the Dutch UN IPCC committee.
- “The quantity of CO2 we produce is insignificant in terms of the natural circulation between air, water and soil.... I am doing a detailed assessment of the UN IPCC reports and the Summaries for Policy Makers, identifying the way in which the Summaries have distorted the science.” — South African Nuclear Physicist and Chemical Engineer Dr. Philip Lloyd, a UN IPCC co-coordinating lead author who has authored over 150 refereed publications.
- “Many [scientists] are now searching for a way to back out quietly (from promoting warming fears), without having their professional careers ruined.” — Atmospheric physicist James A. Peden, formerly of the Space Research and Coordination Center in Pittsburgh.
- “All those urging action to curb global warming need to take off the blinkers and give some thought to what we should do if we are facing global cooling instead.” — Geophysicist Dr. Phil Chapman, an astronautical engineer and former NASA astronaut, served as staff physicist at MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology).
- “Creating an ideology pegged to carbon dioxide is a dangerous nonsense.... The present alarm on climate change is an instrument of social control, a pretext for major businesses and political battle. It became an ideology, which is concerning.” — Environmental Scientist Professor Delgado Domingos of Portugal, the founder of the Numerical Weather Forecast group, has more than 150 published articles.
- “Earth has cooled since 1998 in defiance of the predictions by the UN-IPCC.... The global temperature for 2007 was the coldest in a decade and the coldest of the millennium ... which is why ‘global warming’ is now called ‘climate change.’” — Climatologist Dr. Richard Keen of the Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences at the University of Colorado.
- “I have yet to see credible proof of carbon dioxide driving climate change, yet alone man-made CO2 driving it. The atmospheric hot-spot is missing and the ice core data refute this. When will we collectively awake from this deceptive delusion?” — Dr. G LeBlanc Smith, a retired Principal Research Scientist with Australia’s CSIRO.
- “Since I am no longer affiliated with any organization nor receiving any funding, I can speak quite frankly.... As a scientist I remain skeptical.... The main basis of the claim that man’s release of greenhouse gases is the cause of the warming is based almost entirely upon climate models. We all know the frailty of models concerning the air-surface system.” — Atmospheric Scientist Dr. Joanne Simpson, the first woman in the world to receive a PhD in meteorology, and formerly of NASA, who has authored more than 190 studies and has been called “among the most preeminent scientists of the last 100 years.”
- Warming fears are the “worst scientific scandal in the history.... When people come to know what the truth is, they will feel deceived by science and scientists.” — UN IPCC Japanese Scientist Dr. Kiminori Itoh, an award-winning PhD environmental physical chemist.
- “The IPCC has actually become a closed circuit; it doesn’t listen to others. It doesn’t have open minds.... I am really amazed that the Nobel Peace Prize has been given on scientifically incorrect conclusions by people who are not geologists.” — Indian geologist Dr. Arun D. Ahluwalia at Punjab University and a board member of the UN-supported International Year of the Planet.
Additionally, more than 31,000 American scientists have signed onto the Global Warming Petition Project, a petition that urges “the United States government to reject the global warming agreement that was written in Kyoto, Japan in December 1997, and any other similar proposals. The proposed limits on greenhouse gases would harm the environment, hinder the advance of science and technology, and damage the health and welfare of mankind.”
The petition continues:
There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gases is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth’s atmosphere and disruption of the Earth’s climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth.
Unfortunately, since most of the major media are firmly in the AGW fear-mongering camp, this important information has been largely unavailable to the public. It has censored from “news” reports to preserve the myth that there is a “scientific consensus” in support of the rapidly melting AGW theory.
And, in spite of the continuous stream of evidence from scientific sources showing that the Earth has been in a cooling trend for the past decade (read here, here, here, here, and here), media fright peddlers continue to claim that catastrophic consequences to global warming are just around the corner — unless we empower state, national, and (above all) global government to stringently regulate all human activities that generate CO2.
A recent example of this media foray into strident AGW advocacy is a December 14, 2008 Associated Press article by Seth Borenstein entitled, “Obama left with little time to curb global warming,” which was carried by many newspapers and Internet news sites.
The Borenstein AP story begins:
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Now it is a ticking time bomb that President-elect Barack Obama can't avoid.... Time is close to running out, and Obama knows it.
"The time for delay is over; the time for denial is over," he said on Tuesday after meeting with former Vice President Al Gore, who won a Nobel Peace Prize for his work on global warming. "We all believe what the scientists have been telling us for years now that this is a matter of urgency and national security and it has to be dealt with in a serious way."
Obviously, Obama is listening to the AGW propagandists like Gore, rather than to the real scientists who are telling some truly “Inconvenient Truths,” which could upset the AGW agenda if they became widely known. That appears to be why there is such an accelerated push to lock a global CO2 regulatory regime in place before the American public can get wise to the fact that AGW is, as Weather Channel founder John Coleman says, “the biggest scam in history.”
(Photo: Coast Guard Cutters break ice in the Great Lakes. USCG Photo)