If prominent political strategists including William Powers the GOP power broker responsible for electing Rudy Giuliani mayor are correct, Obama might consider replacing his current Vice President with freshman New York governor Andrew Cuomo. In turn, strategists predict Biden might then fill Secretary of State Hillary Clintons shoes.
While the conjecture may come as a surprise to many, some suspect that President Obama may have grown tired of what The Blaze calls Bidens endless gaffes. The website goes so far as to mention his increasing irrelevance.
Cuomo, on the other hand, has made a name for himself among liberals in recent weeks with his strong support for the same-sex marriage bill that was just passed in the state of New York.
William Powers told the New York Post:
Andrew had a fabulous session. It was fabulous. A property-tax cap, ethics reform and, for Democrats, gay marriage. I dont think theres any doubt Obama is going to pick him as his running mate. The president is in trouble and [Vice President Joe] Biden doesnt bring anything to his ticket. The president will call him up later this year and say, "Andrew, you have to do this for the good of the country." Whats Andrew going to say, "No"?
Former San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown also predicts that President Obama could consider Cuomo for Vice President:
Hes a big name, a big-state governor, and a Democrat who is taking on the issue of public-employee salaries and pensions. Plus, he looks good.
According to Dr. Timothy Dalrymple of Patheos.com, the move to change the VP on the 2012 ticket makes sense for a number of reasons:
- Biden was once considered a serious thinker on questions of international affairs, and his presence on the ticket was meant to reassure Americans concerned by Obamas inexperience that there was a steady hand at the wheel of American foreign policy. [But] Biden has not exactly taken a leading role on foreign policy in any case. Cuomo can credibly claim some expertise.
- A massive part of Obamas appeal in 2008 was simply that he was new and different. Now, Obama is the status quo, and no one screams establishment louder than Joe Biden.
- Bringing Cuomo on the ticket could help Obama fundraise from wealthy (especially gay) New Yorkers, could deliver New Jersey and will certainly please the base.
- The media are deeply enthralled with Cuomo right now, and the selection of Cuomo would give them reason to love Obama all over again.
- Joe Biden is not going to be the heir to the Obama legacy. He cant be. Hes too old. On the other hand, Obama could bring in Cuomo, [and] set up Cuomo as the heir apparent for 2016.
The Blaze inquires, So if Powers assertions are correct and Biden 'doesnt bring anything' to Obamas ticket, are we then supposed to feel good about him potentially becoming the next Secretary of State?