The keynote speakers for the three-day conference are:
• Arthur Robinson, Ph.D. Professor of Chemistry at the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine. Among many other duties, Dr. Robinson directs the “Petition Project” that has obtained the signatures of more than 31,000 scientists, including over 9,000 with Ph.D.s, explicitly opposing the hypothesis of “human-caused global warming.”
• Lawrence Solomon. Canadian author, environmentalist, and columnist for the National Post. Mr. Solomon interviewed many of the world’s most prominent scientists who oppose global warming alarmism. This evolved into his best selling book, The Deniers.
• Richard S. Lindzen, Ph.D. Professor of Meteorology at MIT. One of the world’s most respected atmospheric physicists, Dr. Linzen’s specialties are in climate, planetary waves, planetary atmospheres, and hydrodynamic instability. He is an outspoken critic of catastrophic projections of global warming from anthropogenic sources.
• Lord Christopher Monckton. Third Viscount of Brenchley and adviser to British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, Lord Monckton produced the informative and entertaining DVD Apocalypse, No! that was reviewed and highly recommended in the November 24, 2008 issue of The New American (“Liberty From Global-warming Alarmism"). An amateur mathematician, the Viscount found major errors in the IPCC data that were “overlooked” by 2,000 IPCC “scientists“ and government officials.
• Willie Soon, Ph.D. An astronomer at Mount Wilson Observatory and a physicist at the Solar and Stellar Physics Division of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center. Astrophysicist Dr. Soon is author of Maunder Minimum: And the Variable Sun-Earth Connection and is a chief de-bunker of the myths of increased hurricane activity and polar bear population declines associated with global warming. (Polar bears numbers are increasing, not decreasing.)
Among the 30 other panelists/speakers are John Coleman, founder of the Weather Channel, and Dr. S. Fred Singer, founder of the Science and Environmental Policy Project and editor of the Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change initiative.
This conference is being held at a critical time in the history of our country. All “scientific advisers” to the Obama administration are global-warming alarmists. A lack of even a single skeptic causes one to suspect this may have been a litmus test for presidential appointments. Both Democrats Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi — who have a stranglehold on Senate and House action — are ardent global warmers. We can look for legislation pushed by them that would paralyze our economy in the name of “saving the planet.”
On the bright side, the American electorate is increasingly skeptical of alarmists claims, with a January Rasmussen Poll showing that 51 percent of U.S. voters do not believe that global warming is caused by human activity (most of this group believe that long-term planetary trends are responsible), compared to 41 percent who blame global warming on human activity (the remainder are unsure). This large-scale disbelief is a real threat to global-warming alarmists, whose messages have become more and more shrill and calamitous in an attempt to sell their product.
One of the topics to be discussed at the 2009 conference is the future of “cap and Trade” legislation. “Cap” means the government will put a maximum on the amount of “greenhouse gas emissions” that the economy as a whole will be allowed to produce. Then individuals and businesses will be given their quotas — demanded by the environmental radicals to be 30 percent less that what we are now producing. How is your business going to fair when its electricity and natural gas allotments are whacked by 30 percent? And where are you going to cut 30 percent out of your home electrical usage? How will your life be changed when you won’t be able to make a third of the usual trips in your private automobile?
And all because of a theory of global warming that is patently and provably false, but has been foisted on a public by a mainstream media using the Goebbels method of indoctrination: “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe in it.” Most of us remember that part of the quotation, but we need to re-familiarize ourselves with the rest of it:
The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic, and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.
For more information about the conference, see the Heartland Institute’s webpage on the subject.