A House of Representatives resolution introduced by Representative Guy Reschenthaler (R-Pa.) Tuesday calls for America’s defunding of the World Health Organization (WHO) until its director-general, Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, resigns and the organization is investigated for its allegedly soft-on-China handling of the coronavirus outbreak.
Over 20 Republicans cosponsors have joined in the resolution, which says “the United States should withhold the contribution of Federal funds to the World Health Organization until Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus resigns and an international commission to investigate the World Health Commission is established.”
The resolution notes that WHO, in a January 14 tweet, told the world that “preliminary investigations conducted by Chinese authorities” indicated COVID-19 could not be transmitted between people. This despite the fact that “on December 31, 2019, the Republic of China [Taiwan] warned the World Health Organization that COVID-19 could be transmitted human-to-human.” According to the resolution, WHO “ignored their warning as not to offend the People’s Republican of China.”
Furthermore, Tedros discouraged a travel ban or similar border restrictions when the pandemic began, asserting he was “left in absolutely no doubt about China's commitment to transparency” on the virus.
Tedros’ actions have earned him the ire of American lawmakers, particularly Republicans, who see him and WHO, which is part of the United Nations Sustainable Development Group, as complicit in China’s attempt to downplay the seriousness of the virus, causing the rest of the world to be insufficiently prepared.
Among the original cosponsors of the resolution are Representatives Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), Doug Collins (R-Ga.), Chip Roy (R-Texas), and Fred Keller (R-Pa.).
“The United States’ intelligence community has reported that the Chinese government hid the threat of COVID-19 and, as a result, made it difficult for the rest of the world to respond early, appropriately and aggressively,” Keller said in a statement on the resolution. “For reasons beyond understanding, the World Health Organization acted as a silent partner in this effort instead of protecting the lives of millions across the world, including hundreds of thousands of American citizens.”
“The United States is the largest contributor to WHO. It is not right that Americans’ hard-earned tax dollars are being used to propagate China’s lies and hide information that could have saved lives,” Reschenthaler argued.
America is the single largest contributor to the WHO. The organization’s most recent invoice to the United States was for approximately $116 million per year. That doesn’t include an additional $100 million to $400 million per year the United States gives WHO for specific projects. These additional donations totaled more than $400 million in 2017, the most recent dates for which the numbers are available.
Thus, the U.S. gave over $500 million to the WHO that year — roughly a quarter of the organization’s annual budget.
Reschenthaler’s resolution demands the creation of an “international commission” to investigate WHO’s “mishandling” of the COVID-19 situation.
Senator Rick Scott (R-Fla.) has called for a congressional committee to investigate WHO to conclude whether the group should continue receiving the money of American taxpayers. “When it comes to coronavirus, the WHO failed. They need to be held accountable for their role in promoting misinformation and helping Communist China cover up a global pandemic,” Scott said last week. “We know Communist China is lying about how many cases and deaths they have, what they knew and when they knew it — and the WHO never bothered to investigate further.”
A spokesperson for the senator told Fox News that Scott feels “Dr. Tedros' resignation would definitely be warranted."
Even President Trump has floated cutting funding of WHO, tweeting Tuesday that the organization “really blew it.”
The W.H.O. really blew it. For some reason, funded largely by the United States, yet very China centric. We will be giving that a good look. Fortunately I rejected their advice on keeping our borders open to China early on. Why did they give us such a faulty recommendation?— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 7, 2020
Tedros is an actual communist who does not even have a medical degree. He landed his UN job with backing from Communist China. Before setting up shop at WHO, he played a leading role in the murderous Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) in his native Ethiopia. This Marxist terror organization declared war on other ethnic groups. Tedros served as a top member of TPLF’s Politburo Central Committee.
The U.S. government designated TPLF a terrorist organization for its history of murder, kidnapping, and other violent acts, including attacks on religious figures, journalists, and private citizens. In fact, the Global Terror Database still lists it as such.
Moreover, as minister of health, Tedros played a significant role covering up and downplaying epidemics, including various cholera outbreaks. He then helped hunt down journalists and dissidents who refused to tow the government line.
It’s almost as though “Dr. Tedros” was auditioning for his role of a lifetime as China’s designated coronavirus enabler.
Luis Miguel is a marketer and writer whose journalistic endeavors shed light on the Deep State, the immigration crisis, and the enemies of freedom. Follow his exploits on Facebook, Twitter, Bitchute, and at luisantoniomiguel.com.